Writing a Will is an important part of planning for your future and taking care of your loved ones. Here are 10 reasons why you should create a Will:
- To ensure your assets are distributed according to your wishes – without a Will, the Statutory Intestacy Rules will decide who will inherit your assets.
- To provide for your partner – unmarried couples do not automatically inherit on the death of their partner.
- To provide for your spouse – a spouse does not automatically inherit any of the deceased’s assets.
- To provide for step-children – step-children do not automatically inherit.
- If you have recently divorced or separated – getting a divorce or judicial separation does not revoke a previous Will where you may have specifically named your spouse as a beneficiary.
- To appoint a guardian for children – in the event of your death, you can ensure people you trust look after your children.
- To set up a trust for beneficiaries – you can ensure that a portion of your estate is placed upon trust until the beneficiary reaches a nominated age.
- To nominate an Executor – without a Will, a personal representative will be appointed to administer your estate. By making a Will you can ensure this important task is carried out by someone you trust.
- To avoid unnecessary costs or family conflicts – your wishes are clear in a Will thereby reducing conflict.
- To deal with the issue of advancements – you can ensure any former payments to children are clear as to whether they should form part of your estate or not.
Always there when you need us
Clarity and guidance from expert solicitors
Contact our Wills Solicitors in London, Surrey and Middlesex
Established in 1921, Owen White & Catlin have been providing services throughout South West London, Surrey and Middlesex for many years. Our offices are staffed by teams of expert solicitors and support staff, making it easy for you to get in touch when you need us. Contact us using our online enquiry form, or call us directly on one of our office numbers– our friendly staff are ready to help.